The Texas Coastal Bend area is a terrific place to live and work. It’s also an area where you really need an air conditioner. A weird noise coming from your air conditioner compressor–or any other part of your system–is a reason to take notice. The sooner you call your HVAC-system professional, the better. Although some noises are indications of something minor, other noises can be a big red flag. Common causes of A/C compressor noises can include:
- Loose components: Even a loose bolt can cause banging, clanking, clanging and plenty of other noises. One possible cause of the weird noise is a loose motor mount.
- A problem with the controls or thermostat: Defects in these systems can cause a clicking or buzzing sound.
- A failing motor: This problem can cause your A/C to hum.
- A starting capacitor that does not work correctly: If the compressor motor seizes or if the starting capacitor needs to be replaced, you may hear a humming.
- Rising internal pressure: This can cause a hissing or a loud screaming sound. It is startling, and also potentially dangerous. A malfunctioning pressure sensor could be the problem. Turn off the air conditioner right away, and keep it off until your HVAC technician can check it out.
- Wiring problems: These problems can cause a buzzing.
- A compressor motor that has seized up: This problem is common and can cause a humming or buzzing.
Chances are, you won’t be able to diagnose the problem yourself. And this is a good thing. Any work beyond simple maintenance should be left to the professionals. Whether you have a problem, or you need regular maintenance or a new system, contact the experts at CCAC, Serving Coastal Bend homeowners, we’re happy to help you keep your home comfortable and safe year-round.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioner compressors and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock