Spring is here, and one of the most important seasonal tasks for south Texas homeowners is scheduling spring air conditioner maintenance. Having an annual tune-up performed before cooling season commences ensures your air conditioner is ready to work hard to keep you cool all summer long. The benefits of annual maintenance include promoting a more efficient system–resulting in lower utility bills — preventing breakdowns during the hottest part of the year, and extending the life of your system.
A comprehensive tune-up by a qualified HVAC technician will include these essential points:
- Lubricate the moving parts of the system to reduce friction.
- Tighten electrical connections.
- Test the controls to ensure the system cycles properly.
- Check and adjust the refrigerant level.
- Check the blower motor and belts for wear and tear.
- Test the temperature drop at the return and supply registers, and adjust the blower.
- Clean and adjust the thermostat to ensure accuracy.
- Clean the outdoor condensing unit.
- Flush the condensate drain to prevent blockages.
- Inspect the start and run capacitors and relays for damage and wear.
- Check the amperage and voltage on the motor for peak efficiency.
- Check the ducts for loose connections and damage, and repair with mastic sealant.
Maintenance doesn’t end with the annual tune-up. There are a few things you should do throughout the cooling season to ensure your air conditioner continues to operate efficiently:
- Maintain the outdoor condensing unit. Keep debris such as grass clippings and weeds away from the unit, and hose it down every month to remove dirt buildup.
- Check the air filter every month and replace it when it’s dirty. A clean filter will ensure optimum airflow, and prevent overheating and damage to your system.
- Keep your supply and return registers free of obstructions that can reduce the airflow through the A/C.
- Keep the area around the indoor unit clean to prevent dust buildup inside the system.
For more expert advice about spring air conditioner maintenance, or to schedule a tune-up with one of our technicians, please feel free to contact Mathews CCAC Inc., serving the Coastal Bend area with a high level of customer satisfaction.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about Air Conditioner Maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock