Indoor air quality is a concern for many people. Regardless of how clean your home is, air that passes through your HVAC system repeatedly will eventually accumulate dust and other debris. For many people suffering from asthma or allergies, this can be a serious problem.
Taking the dust and other particles from the air is not difficult. You can choose an air filtration system or an air cleaner, but which is right for you? Let’s go through some of the basics to find out.
- The primary goal is to keep larger particles of dirt from reaching the furnace. If they get to the furnace, they will accumulate and eventually reduce efficiency or cause damage.
- The filters have large enough holes to permit easy air flow, but catch the dirt that can potentially create problems with the furnace.
- Regularly changed filters will keep your furnace running smoothly.
- Filters with high MERV ratings can catch smaller particles that bother people with asthma and other allergies, though they reduce the efficiency and increase the cost of running the furnace.
- Air cleaners are designed to catch debris, regardless of the size. They can remove up to 99 percent of the particles in the air, making them a good choice for anybody suffering from asthma or allergies.
- Air cleaners protect the furnace at least as well as an air filter.
How Do I Choose?
In order to protect the furnace, every system should have one of these two systems. For homes where the furnace is the only concern, a standard air filtration system is perfectly adequate. However, if there are health concerns, you should consider getting a highly-rated MERV filter or using an air cleaner.
Mathews CCAC takes pride in serving our Coastal Bend customers. If you have any questions or concerns about indoor air quality, call us today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about indoor air quality and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 361-678-2495.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “jstudio/Shutterstock”