As you know all too well living in South Texas, air conditioning can take a big bite out of your budget. Fortunately, there are effective ways to improve air conditioner efficiency, and most of them don’t require much money or effort. Try some of the following steps to improve how efficiently your A/C uses electricity while keeping your home comfortable.
- Check and change the air filter for the A/C. The filter performs an important job. It removes dust and other particulates from the air before they settle on sensitive A/C components, making it more difficult for the machinery to do its job. For example, dust that accumulates on cooling coils will interfere with the heat-exchange process that’s essential to air conditioning. However, when an air filter gets clogged with dust and debris, your A/C fan and compressor have to work harder to blow air through the system. This wastes energy, stresses parts and extends the time it takes to cool your home. Check the air filter every month and change it when it looks dirty.
- Keep the outside unit clean and clear. A split-system air conditioner’s outside compressor/condenser requires smooth airflow to do its job properly. So it’s important to remove yard debris such as leaves, sticks and grass cuttings, as well as children’s toys, fencing, and anything else that will block airflow into the equipment. Occasionally rinse the outside unit with a garden hose, too.
- Make sure vents and registers aren’t blocked by carpeting or rugs, furniture, drapes, toys or other objects inside the house.
- Use ceiling fans to complement the work of your A/C. When a ceiling fan is blowing air toward people in a room, the wind-chill effect makes the air feel several degrees cooler. As a result, you can set the thermostat a few degrees higher to save energy, without any loss of comfort.
- Get your ductwork inspected every two or three years. Leaky ducts can reduce the capacity and efficiency of the entire system, forcing the A/C to work harder.
For more advice on air conditioner efficiency in your Corpus Christi area home, please contact us at CCAC, Inc.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioner efficiency and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 361-678-2495.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Juergen-Faelchle/Shutterstock”