Whether it’s A/C in the summer or heating in the winter, it’s difficult to go without your HVAC system. But as your system gets older, and fixing it starts costing you more and more, you have to make a choice. Is it worth it to keep paying for repairs, or are you better off just buying new cooling or heating equipment? Here are a few signs that it’s time to replace your comfort system.
- Your A/C is more than 10 years old, or your furnace is more than 15 years old. At that point, chances are it’s near the end of its lifespan anyway. It’s better to replace your comfort system with a newer, more efficient model.
- The cost of repairs is more than half of what the system is worth. The money you put into your HVAC system is an investment that pays you back in comfort. When repair costs reach a certain point, the returns aren’t worth it any longer. This is especially the case when a new system can start paying you back in energy savings as soon as you get your first utility bills.
- Your system is constantly breaking down. If your A/C, furnace or heat pump needs repairs every few months, it’s not worth the investment. You’ll save a lot more money by replacing it with a new unit that’s more reliable.
- Your home isn’t cooling or heating adequately. If you’re cold even when the heat is on, or running the A/C just won’t abate the heat, it’s time to replace your comfort system with one that can do the job properly. Your system also helps regulate your home’s humidity, so if things are too wet in the summer or too dry in the winter, consider upgrading.
- Your energy bills are too high. Do you dread turning on your A/C or heat pump for fear of what it will cost? You’d be better off investing in a more efficient model that bears the Energy Star logo, certifying that it’s a quality performer that will save on energy. Even if you finance a new system the savings on energy can sometimes be more than the payments.
For more helpful and money-saving heating and cooling advice, contact our experts at CCAC, Inc. Homeowners in the Coastal Bend have trusted us to solve their HVAC problems since 1979.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about comfort systems and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock