Mold is found everywhere, in the air and on many surfaces, and grows best in warm, damp and humid areas. With Texas being such a humid state, mold can have a real impact on indoor air quality and health. Nowhere in Texas is mold such a potential problem than in Corpus Christi.
Before mold has a chance to grow out of control, there are simple tips and routine checks to prevent it from growing in your home and taking a toll on your wallet:
- Maintain low humidity levels. Running your air conditioning or using dehumidifiers help keep the moisture levels low. Also, ensure your air conditioning pan is dry and drain lines are functioning properly.
- Install The AC-Enhancer. This control device added to your air conditioning system will increase the humidity control in your home.
- Keep the bathroom ventilated when showering. Open a window or turn on the exhaust fan while showering to eliminate moisture in the air. An exhaust fan has to move at least 100 cfm of air in order to pull the moisture vapor our. When cleaning bathrooms, use bleach cleaning products.
- Prevent water from butting up to your foundation. Having the ground slope down and away from your home keeps water from pooling and harboring growth.
- Check your roof and windows for any leaks. Water leaks can lead to a collection of moisture. Also, keeping your gutters clean and clear for excess water to run through can prevent water from leaking into the house.
- Cover cold surfaces. Wrapping cold pipes with insulation helps absorb moisture and keep any growth out.
You can find more information at the Texas Department of State Health Services.
You can also contact CCAC for help. They offer the services needed to control your indoor air quality and have the experts on hand to answer any questions you may have.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Mathews CCAC Air Conditioning and Heating services Corpus Christi, TX. To get started, check out our website.