When you need a new HVAC system, it’s always tempting to go with the lowest price, and in recent years plenty of online HVAC deals have surfaced. Although the prices may be lower than what a local HVAC contractor may quote, these deals could cost you more in both the short and long term.
A heating and cooling system probably uses the most complex and expensive equipment in your home. Companies that install and service HVAC systems need extensive training and licensing to work in this field. When you buy from an online provider, you’re essentially buying blind, and as a result, you can make costly mistakes.
While it’s fine to look at online HVAC deals, making an actual purchase can end up costing you more because:
- The system you choose may be the wrong size, especially if you base it on what your home already has. In the past, builders often installed HVAC units that were too large, which adds to the operational costs and shortens the life of the equipment. Homes also are sealed more tightly now than ever, while HVAC equipment is more efficient. So a smaller unit can usually satisfactorily cool and/or heat your home.
- You may spend a lot of time trying to find an HVAC company that is willing to install equipment that they do not provide. Once you do find someone willing to install it, the HVAC contractor may charge more for the installation than if you bought a unit from them.
- The contractors may not guarantee their labor for the installation, just like car repair shops sometimes won’t when you provide your own parts.
- The manufacturer of the heating and cooling unit may not honor the warranty because the company has no relationship with the installer.
- Hiring someone to install an air conditioning system that you bought online who doesn’t have the required state and federal EPA licenses can result in serious fines. Unless you’re buying a sealed HVAC unit, refrigerant needs to be added so the system works. The refrigerant poses serious health and air quality hazards. Handling these chemicals requires specialized tools and an EPA license.
CCAC, Inc., the premier Lennox dealer serving the Corpus Christi area, can help you choose the best HVAC equipment for your home.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about online HVAC deals and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
CCAC Air Conditioning and Heating services Corpus Christi, TX. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!