Even the most efficient pieces of equipment require troubleshooting sometimes. If you’re having problems with your heat pump, see if any of these typical issues and their solutions can solve your troubles.
Heat Pump Won’t Start
- Make sure the thermostat is in the right setting.
- Check the circuit breakers to make sure the air handler and condenser are both receiving power. The fuses may have tripped or blown.
- If your heat pump is connected to a power switch, make sure it’s turned on.
Heat Pump Fails to Cool or Heat Properly
Heat pumps don’t put out air that’s as hot as a furnace, and if it’s in defrost mode to prevent icing, the air coming into your home will temporarily feel cool. If the air is cooler than usual and these factors aren’t the case, consider these troubleshooting solutions:
- Set the thermostat properly and wait a few minutes.
- Check the room-heating registers to make sure they’re open.
- Change the heat pump’s filter if it’s dirty.
- Clean the outdoor unit’s coils.
Heat Pump Trips the Breaker or Freezes Up
- Reset the circuit breaker.
- If the outdoor condenser unit is frozen, turn it off and call a professional contractor.
- Check the filter and change it if it’s clogged.
Heat Pump Cycles Oddly
- Clean the filter since cycling on and off frequently can be due to overheating caused by a clogged filter.
- Check the thermostat. It may be calibrated incorrectly and require servicing.
- Adjust the thermostat heat anticipator if the temperature rises above or drops below the temperature you set.
Heat Pump Noises
- If you hear grinding or squealing, shut off the unit and call a repair technician because the bearings on the motor could be shot.
- If you hear rattling, make sure all the screws are tightly in place. Rattling could also be caused by loose parts inside the air handler or rattling ducts.
If these suggestions don’t solve your problem, contact CCAC, Inc.in Corpus Christi for professional, timely service.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about heat pumps and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Mathews CCAC Air Conditioning and Heating services Corpus Christi, TX. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!