When you air conditioner starts to make a noise, it is telling you that something is wrong and needs attention. A/C noise can be due to various reasons and it is important to inspect your unit to try and determine what the problem is. Some of the issues you will be able to repair yourself, and some will need to be repaired by a qualified technician.
What to do if the A/C noise is made by the fan
- Fans can start to make a noise if they are dirty or if the screws have started to loosen.
- Open the air conditioner unit and locate the fan. Make sure to turn the power off before opening the unit up.
- Clean away any debris from the blades and check to see if the fan is loose.
- If the fan is loose, you will need to tighten the screw at the hub.
- It is a good idea to check if all the blades are straight. Bend blades can touch the inside of the unit and generate a noise.
- If the problem remains, call an HVAC specialist.
What to do if the motor is making a noise
- Motors that need lubrication will generate a humming noise.
- If you have identified that the motor is the cause of the A/C noise, call an HVAC specialist to lubricate the motor.
- Some of the newer motors have sealed bearings and cannot be field lubricated. If the bearings fail then the motor will have to be replaced, call an HVAC specialist.
What to do if the A/C noise is made by the coil fins
- Coil fins that are dirty can generate noise.
- If the coil fins are dirty use a vacuum cleaner to clean the coil fins.
- If the coil fins are bent, you will need to contact your local HVAC contractor for assistance.
Your air conditioning unit is an expensive investment, and it is very important to maintain it correctly. A/C noise is an early warning that something may be wrong. Take action immediately and prevent further damage or a costly repair bill. If you are not sure how to check where the problem is, contact your local HVAC contractor for advice.
For expert advice about noisy air conditioners or any HVAC problems, contact your home comfort specialist CCAC. We are proudly serving the Corpus Christi, Texas area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about A/C noises and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock