In our hot and muggy Coastal Bend weather, a good air conditioner can be a life saver. But as necessary an appliance as it is, sometimes we tend to neglect it. In order to keep your unit running smoothly and efficiently, it’s necessary to perform regular maintenance. A regular A/C tuneup can extend the life of your system, keeping your home cool and comfortable for years to come, while saving you money and energy. Here are some of the things your HVAC technician should do when performing an A/C tuneup.
- Check your refrigerant charge. If your unit has too little refrigerant, it will have to work harder and use more energy to cool your home properly. If it has too much refrigerant, it can cause serious damage to your system. A good A/C tuneup will also check for and repair any refrigerant leaks and refill your refrigerant to the proper charge.
- Check and calibrate the thermostat. Is it set at the ideal temperature to keep your home comfortable? Does it take a lower temperature than normal to cool your home properly? An HVAC professional will make sure that your thermostat can keep you comfortable without wasting energy.
- Inspect and clean coils, valves, fan blades and other components. Lubricate motors, tighten belts and make sure everything is working properly.
- Measure your unit’s airflow to make sure it’s adequate. The less conditioned air that makes it into your living areas, the harder your system has to work to keep it cool enough. You can also help to maximize your airflow in between A/C tuneups by making sure your outdoor unit is cleared of grass, leaves and other debris for two feet all around, and by changing your air filter every one to three months.
- Check and seal any duct leaks. Even if your system is producing enough air, a large portion of it may be lost between the A/C and the register. Leaking ducts can reduce the efficiency of your A/C by up to 30 percent.
For more quality heating and cooling advice, contact our experts at CCAC, Inc.We’ve been the Corpus Christi area’s source for quality HVAC service since 1979.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about a/c filters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock