Living in South Texas is sure to give your air conditioner a workout. There comes a time when you need to decide if you should keep repairing an aging, balky A/C unit or finally replace it. While replacing an air conditioner may seem expensive, it may be cheaper than paying for ongoing repairs and high energy bills.
Repair vs. Replace: How to Tell
- Age: According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, most homeowners can benefit by replacing an A/C that is over 10 year old with a new, high-efficiency model.
- Your Corpus Christi HVAC contractor is programmed into your speed dial: If it seems like your A/C needs constant repairs, it may be time for a new cooling system.
- Your energy bills keep getting more expensive: Older A/C models can gradually become more inefficient. The more inefficient they get, the higher your energy bills may be. A new air conditioner can save you 20 percent or more in cooling costs, according to the EPA.
- Your energy bill charges are steady, but seem too expensive: Use the Energy Star Home Energy Yardstick to do a self-assessment of your home’s energy use. If your score is below 5, your old air conditioner may be the cause of your frustrating power bills.
- Your house feels too humid: The Coastal Bend is naturally humid, but an A/C should help dry it out. A faulty indoor coil, improperly sized ducts or the wrong A/C unit size can lead to a home that feels muggy.
- Some rooms in your home feel too hot or too cold: First, check the vent in a room. If it’s closed, the room may feel warmer. Then verify if there are air leaks, air duct problems or insulation issues that need repairs. If the problem continues, you may need a new air conditioner.
- The air conditioner makes strange noises: Your ducts may be improperly sized or the A/C’s indoor coil may need repairs.
For more expert advice about whether to repair or replace your air conditioner and other issues related to home comfort in the Coastal Bend, please contact CCAC, Inc. today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air conditioners and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Mathews CCAC Air Conditioning and Heating services Corpus Christi, TX. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today! Check out our partner, Southern Air for an AC repair in Alexandria and Ball!