If the air filter in your HVAC system is an inexpensive fiberglass panel variety with a MERV (minimum efficiency reporting value) rating less than 5, about 80 percent of what’s floating in your household air will slip through the filter as it circulates through your system. Only the largest inorganic pieces of dust will be trapped while the smaller pollutants and microorganisms like pollen, mold spores and bacteria — the airborne particulates most likely cause allergies and other health consequences — will escape mechanical filtration.
Fortunately there’s an option that doesn’t require modifying your system or buying an expensive air purifier. Pleated filters rated up to MERV 12 filter your air more efficiently without imposing restriction on your system airflow. Here are 5 advantages of pleated filters to protect your indoor air quality:
- Pleated filters with MERV rating of 12 can trap 90 percent of airborne particulates down to a size of 1 micron.This includes pollen, mold spores, pet dander, many forms of bacteria and airborne components of auto emissions. It is the most efficient filter you can install without altering your ductwork.
- Pleated filters come in varying thicknesses to accommodate any air handler or furnace installation. The most common HVAC systems use 1-inch to 2-inch thick filters. Odd sizes are also available.
- Many pleated filters incorporate electrostatically charged synthetic fibers. Exploiting the natural attraction force of static electricity, these filters capture and retain airborne particulates with great efficiency.
- The cotton and polyester materials in pleated filters may be enhanced with carbon materials. This adds an odor-absorption property to the filter unavailable in standard fiberglass filters.
- Pleated filters also provide greater protection for your equipment. Microscopic particulates that escape low-efficiency filters find their way into the critical components of your air conditioner and furnace. They increase wear and tear and decrease service life and efficiency.
CCAC Heating & Air Conditioninglooks out for the home comfort and the healthy air quality of Corpus Christi homeowners all year round. Let us explain the advantage of upgrading to a high-efficiency pleated air filter in your system today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about air filters and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock