Springtime allergy season has arrived in Corpus Christi, and for allergy sufferers, the symptoms are probably already occurring. Ragweed pollen is among the most common allergens in the area, but other material can also trigger the sneezing, watery eyes, and runny noses that make allergies a misery. Here are some allergy tips you can use this year to make yourself more comfortable.
- Clean your surroundings: Dust, pollen, animal dander, fibers, hair—all of these materials are common in your indoor environment. They can accumulate quickly and often without being noticed. Increase the number of times you clean your indoor surroundings to at least once a week, or more often if needed. Dust shelves, vacuum carpets and rugs, change and wash bedding, and sweep hard-surface floors.
- Put in higher-quality HVAC filters: Put higher-quality air filters in your HVAC system. Look for filters with higher MERV (Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value) ratings. They will be more effective at removing allergens from the air flowing through your cooling system. Ask your HVAC professional for advice; if you get a filter with too high a MERV rating for your system, it could interfere with airflow and cause problems.
- Remove allergens: Some pollutants and allergens can be stopped at their source. Make sure trash is taken out every day. Take strong-smelling materials such as cleaners, paints, solvents and insecticides to outdoor storage and make sure they are in tightly capped containers.
- Check for mold: Mold is a common source of allergens that can grow in out-of-the-way places in your home. Check areas that are often exposed to moisture and warmth, such as bathrooms, laundry rooms, and kitchens. Wipe down bathtub areas and make sure they are dry after use to decrease the chance of mold growth.
- Increase ventilation: When possible, open windows to increase air flow inside your home. Operate ventilation fans in bathrooms and kitchens.
CCAC remains Constantly Concerned About Customers by providing top-quality HVAC services throughout Corpus Christi and the nearby Texas communities. Contact us today for more information on springtime allergies and for allergy tips to help you get through this year’s allergy season comfortably.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about allergy season tips and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 361-678-2495.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “Serhiy Kobyakov/Shutterstock”