The year-round comfort and energy savings in your Corpus Christi area home depend largely on how well-maintained your HVAC system is. A properly maintained furnace, air conditioner or heat pump can operate 40 percent more efficiently than a neglected one, and since heating and cooling your home accounts for about half of your annual energy costs, yearly preventive maintenance can save you a considerable amount of money. But the benefits of a yearly tuneup don’t begin and end with energy savings. Annual preventive maintenance will also:
- Lower your carbon footprint by reducing emissions and increasing efficiency.
- Increase your comfort by ensuring optimum airflow, air temperatures and thermostat operation.
- Extend the operating life of your system.
- Prevent expensive repairs and inconvenient system breakdowns.
While different types of HVAC systems require different maintenance tasks, a comprehensive tuneup will include all of the key points that are necessary for top efficiency and optimum system operation. A skilled technician from a reputable company will perform a thorough inspection and tuneup of your system, including these essential tasks:
- Lubrication of the moving parts to prevent damaging friction.
- Inspection and tightening of gas and electrical connections, wiring and terminals, belts and gaskets.
- Safety checks for carbon monoxide, gas and refrigerant leaks.
- Testing of system controls to ensure proper cycling.
- Measuring the airflow, combustion and exhaust gases.
- Inspection of the ductwork to ensure proper airflow and optimum comfort.
- Inspection and calibration of the thermostat to ensure accuracy.
- Thorough inspection and cleaning of essential components to prevent premature failure.
While annual preventive maintenance is crucial to the efficiency and longevity of your HVAC systems, a dirty air filter can quickly negate the benefits. Inspecting the air filter in your air conditioner, furnace or heat pump every month and replacing it when it’s dirty is an essential DIY task that will help maintain proper airflow, top efficiency, a high level of comfort and high indoor air quality year-round.
To schedule annual preventive maintenance with one of our highly skilled technicians for any of your Corpus Christi home’s HVAC systems, please contact us at CCAC, Inc.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about annual preventive maintenance and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock