When buying a house, one of the primary considerations should be the condition and type of HVAC system that provides cooling and heating. Here on the Coastal Bend, with our long cooling seasons and mild winters, the cooling system is the most important part of your HVAC system.
Ask the following questions when buying a house:
- How long has the system been operating? While regularly maintained, quality HVAC systems can last 15 years or so (and even longer for combustion furnaces in our climate), it’s always better to buy a home with a relatively new system. You don’t want to be forced to replace your central cooling system within a year or two after moving in. An older system that’s constantly requiring repairs is no fun either.
- What type of system is cooling and heating the house? If the house is being cooled by portable or room air conditioners, that’s probably a deal-breaker. With a central A/C or heat pump, you’ll get more efficient, less noisy and more reliable cooling and heating. Check the documentation for the HVAC system to determine its efficiency. High-efficiency cooling and heating equipment provide more effective and efficient comfort at a lower monthly cost.
- What are the average cooling and heating costs for the home? The homeowner should be able to produce a record of electric and (if pertinent) gas bills.
- What’s the service history of the HVAC system in the home you’re considering? A system that’s received regular professional maintenance will work better and longer, at a lower monthly cost, than a system that has received little or no maintenance.
- Is the house properly weatherized? During the home inspection, the inspector should look at windows and doors and other areas where heat energy tends to escape from a home (or infiltrate in the winter). If the home has insufficient insulation and air sealing, find out what it will cost to weatherproof the house.
For more suggestions for ensuring your new house has a reliable and efficient cooling and heating system, please contact us at CCAC, Inc., providing quality services to the Corpus Christi area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Guide or call us at 361-678-2495.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “adjieargoputra/Pixabay”