Are you concerned that efficiency issues are to blame for your high energy bills? A home energy audit can give you in-depth insight into the efficiency of all its systems and components and show you where to make improvements to reduce your annual energy costs by as much as 30 percent.
The Energy Audit Process
While the exact routine can vary depending on who you hire, a professional energy audit should follow a multi-step investigative process that includes:
- Information gathering: The auditor will ask questions about your daily energy use habits, your home’s usual occupancy and whether you have specific concerns. He’ll also review the past year’s utility bills to calculate a base consumption figure.
- Performing thorough interior and exterior inspections: Every component of your home is evaluated visually. The auditor examines the lighting, attic condition and insulation, electrical system, HVAC system and its ductwork, fireplace, windows, doors and exterior envelope to identify issues that are having a negative impact on energy efficiency.
- Specialized testing on specific components and systems: To locate air leaks and drafts, the auditor will use a blower door that employs a high-powered fan to depressurize your home. To identify areas with inadequate or missing insulation, he’ll perform a thermographic inspection using still and infrared cameras. Other specialized tools and tests are used to check the functionality of the furnace, water heater and all your other combustion appliances.
- Identifying safety concerns: The audit goes beyond checking for efficiency issues, it also looks at safety features like smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors and helps you pinpoint possible health risks like fuel leaks, lead-based paint, electrical hazards, excessive moisture and air quality problems.
- Providing a detailed report: Once all the needed data is in hand, it’s analyzed and complied into a comprehensive report. You’ll not only learn the details of any problems the auditor identifies, you’ll get advice on how to correct specific energy waste issues to help you save money and increase your comfort.
To schedule a home energy audit and learn ways to save, contact the Coastal Bend comfort experts at CCAC today.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy audits and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “new photo/Shutterstock”