With the winter season approaching, many people are starting to run the heat on a regular basis to make their homes comfortable. While heating is certainly necessary in Corpus Christi, it can cost homeowners quite a bit of money each month. To reduce your bills and keep your house comfortable, try employing these green energy-saving tips at home.
- Keep your heating system, either your furnace or heat pump, operating the best they can. For homeowners, that means regular HVAC maintenance from a qualified technician at least once per year.
- Lower the temperature of your thermostat to between 60 and 70-degrees Fahrenheit. For every degree you lower your thermostat, you’ll lower your heating bill by anywhere from 3 to 5 percent. You can lower the temperature even more when you go to sleep at night, since you’ll be under heavy blankets in order to save even more money.
- Install an ENERGYSTAR programmable thermostat in your home. That way you can set your thermostat to go up or down based on your needs. For example, you can lower the temperature below 60-degrees when you’re at work during the day and have it come back up to your desired temperature before you arrive home. You can also set it to lower the temperature once you’re fast asleep at night.
- Clean or replace the filters at the beginning of the fall season if you have a forced-air furnace. You’ll also want to clean these filters at least once per month throughout the season to make sure your furnace doesn’t have to work too hard.
- Wear warmer clothing when you’re inside your home. You don’t have to put on a parka and gloves, but a heavy sweater or pair of sweatpants can allow you to lower the temperature in your home to save money while staying warm and comfortable.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about energy-saving tips and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock