If you spend a lot of time indoors enjoying your home’s air conditioning, you may want to make sure it’s free of germs, viruses, pests and other chemicals that can harm you and your family. If you address these trouble spots now, you can have a healthier home environment and breathe easier through Coastal Bend’s beautiful spring weather.
Each room in your home has certain areas that can harbor unhealthy problems, but there are specific areas that require attention and cleaning:
- Walls: Wall paint contains volatile organic compounds, which are a major source of indoor air pollution. When you’re painting a room, select a paint with low or no VOCs that’s safer for your family.
- Doorknobs: The doorknobs in your home are constantly being touched by family members, so they’re a notorious source of germs and bacteria. You should keep doorknobs clean with an antibacterial cleaner that can stop germs from spreading.
The kitchen is the heart of your home, as well as a social gathering hub. However, it also contains a large number of unhealthy trouble spots, which can attract germs, pests, viruses and bacteria. Here are just a few examples:
- Cutting board: These items are vital for food preparation and require thorough cleaning after each use. Make sure to use separate cutting boards for vegetables and meat to avoid cross contamination and to prevent the spread of certain bacteria like salmonella.
- Countertops: To maintain a healthy home environment, clean and sanitize all countertop surfaces before and after preparing food. This eliminates food bacteria and prevents the invasion of pests like roaches, mice and rats.
- Sponges and dish towels: You use sponges to clean up messes, but if germs are living on it, you’re probably spreading them around. Keep your sponge clean by running it through the dishwasher or sanitizing it in the microwave. Also, make sure to wash dishtowels often in hot water to remove unhealthy microorganisms.
Along with having clean, healthy surfaces in your Corpus Christ home, you can also promote healthy indoor air with the help of Mathews CCAC.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about creating a healthy home environment and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “concept w/Shutterstock”