Mold in your Coastal Bend home is a serious issue that can lead to significant property damage and harmful physical and medical effects for persons living in your house. Here are some techniques you can use for keeping mold at bay and preventing the problems than can result from excessive mold growth.
- Stop leaks: Locate and repair any water leaks in your plumbing and drainage systems. If necessary, hire a plumber to help you find hidden leaks behind walls and elsewhere. Make sure all pipes, fixtures and connections are in good condition, and do not allow any water to drip or seep out. Leaks will let water collect inside your home and create a perfect environment for mold to grow.
- Don’t let moisture accumulate: Use ventilating fans in rooms where moisture is generated, such as bathrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms. Wipe moisture off shower doors, walls and fixtures after bathing. Make sure appliances that generate water vapor, such as dishwashers, clothes dryers and stoves, are vented to the outdoors.
- React quickly to spills or floods: Wipe up any liquid spills as quickly as possible and dry out carpets or rugs as fast as you can. Use an extractor to remove large amounts of liquids from carpets and point fans at wet areas to speed drying. If the flood damage is too great, replace carpets and flooring as necessary.
- Maintain proper indoor humidity levels: Keep indoor relative humidity somewhere between 30 to 50 percent. Test humidity levels regularly and use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from your air. Smaller portable dehumidifiers can be effective in a single room, while larger whole-house dehumidifiers will reduce humidity everywhere in your home.
- Install The AC-Enhancer: This relatively inexpensive control device can be installed on your existing central air conditioning system to help it remove more moisture and run more efficiently.
In this and every season, Mathews CCAC remains Constantly Concerned About Customers, serving your HVAC needs in Corpus Christi and around the Coastal Bend. Contact us today for more information on controlling mold growth in your home and about how keeping mold at bay will make your home healthier and more comfortable.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about mold and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock