Mold and mildew can be particular problems in our area, due to the high humidity that’s so common. Corpus Christi area homeowners should be aware of the possible dangers posed by these biological contaminants, and of ways to combat this potentially serious problem.
In nature, mold’s job is to decompose organic materials. However, if it begins growing in your home, it can not only cause serious health issues, such as allergic reactions, respiratory problems, skin irritations and more, it can lead to structural degradation of your home and possessions.
All species of molds require air, moisture and a food source. You can’t control the availability of food sources — virtually any material is a possible breeding ground. You also can’t control the presence of oxygen. Fighting spore growth is mainly about controlling humidity and moisture.
24 to 48 hours is all the time spores need to begin growing. Here are a few strategies that can help you get a handle on mold in your house:
- Quickly wipe up spills or leaks. If the spill occurs on carpet or upholstery, pat the area dry as much as possible, then open a window or set a fan nearby to aid the process.
- Keep indoor humidity between 40 and 50 percent. Consider investing in a dehumidifier, if you don’t have one. Whole-house units work with your HVAC system, while portable units address trouble areas. Empty the tanks daily, or make sure the system pumps water out of your home.
- Fix any leaking pipes, faucets or other home fixtures.
- Repair roof leaks.
- Use fungicidal cleaning products on a regular basis, especially in areas of high humidity, such as bathrooms and the kitchen.
- Make use of exhaust fans when you shower and cook.
If you have more questions about how to prevent or eliminate mold or would like to schedule an inspection and service, contact CCAC, Inc. We’re happy to help Corpus Christi area homeowners stay safe and comfortable.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information, click here to download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Mathews CCAC Air Conditioning and Heating services Corpus Christi, TX. To get started, check out our website.