When it comes to your Corpus Christi home, energy savings and comfort are likely at the top of your list. Programmable thermostats deliver on both fronts, though it’s important to learn how to set them properly to maximize their benefits. Here are some guidelines to help you make the most of your purchase from start to finish.
Programmable thermostats aren’t one size fits all. Choose the model that best suits your family’s lifestyle and is compatible with your HVAC system.
- 7-day model – This flexible model allows you to program the unit differently for each day of the week.
- 5+1+1 model – This option is best for families who run on one schedule during the week, a second on Saturday and a third on Sunday.
- 5+2 model – This is ideal for those who prefer a consistent setting during the weekdays and another on the weekend.
Set It Right
There are several variables to consider before programming your thermostat, including the times you wake and go to bed, and when you leave and return home. Energy saving settings also vary by season.
- Heating season – Program the unit to 68 degrees for times you’re home and awake, then lower the setting 10 to 15 degrees for times you’re asleep or away.
- Cooling season – Aim for a set point of 78 degrees when you’re around to enjoy the cool air. For other times, turn up the dial to enjoy a savings of around one percent for each degree of difference over a period of eight hours or more.
If you have a zoning system, install a programmable thermostat in each zone for maximum comfort and savings. Additional tips include:
- Change the batteries once a year to ensure continuous performance.
- Avoid using the override feature. Consistent use will negatively affect savings.
- Use the “hold” or “vacation” feature when you’ll be away for 48 hours or longer at an efficient, constant temperature.
To learn more about the benefits of programmable thermostats, or for additional HVAC concerns, give us a call at CCAC, Inc. For 35 years, we’ve been providing service to homeowners in the Coastal Bend area.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about programmable thermostats and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Credit/Copyright Attribution: “lucadp/Shutterstock”