Getting ready to head out of town for your vacation? Don’t forget to take care of your air conditioner. With all the packing that you need to do and all the reservations you need to make, your air conditioner might not be at the top of your mind. You might think that all you need to do is turn it off when you leave and turn it on again when you come back. Think again. Here are some vacation-related cooling system considerations to keep in mind.
- If you have a programmable thermostat, keep it set to go up and down according to your regular schedule, but just a few degrees higher. The running air conditioner will give the illusion that you’re home while still saving you some money. A quiet air conditioner can be a tip-off for prospective burglars. If you don’t have a programmable thermostat, keep your air conditioner running, but at at a higher temperature setting.
- Make sure any setting you decide on is appropriate for the pet or pets that will be staying behind. Even birds and reptiles need to sustain an appropriate body temperatures to survive.
- Leave emergency repair numbers for house sitters or the neighbor who will be keeping an eye on the place.
- Check your air conditioner filter before you leave, and change it if necessary. A clean filter will optimize the efficiency of your A/C, which will still be running while you’re away.
- Inspect the outdoor condensing unit, and make sure it’s free of debris that could cause problems. If you’ve hired someone to mow your grass, ask him to keep clippings away from outside unit, and ask him to check for debris and other obstructions from time to time.
- Have your system serviced by a professional before you go to make sure it is running and to minimize the potential of having a problem while you are gone.
Mathews CCAC is all about customer service. It’s who we are. Call us to ask any any questions about your HVAC-system needs. Serving the Corpus Christi area for more than 30 years, we have the expertise you require to keep your home comfortable all year long.
Our goal is to help educate our customers in Corpus Christi, Texas about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about vacation planning checklists and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Image courtesy of Shutterstock